- Holidays in Tuscany
- Holidays in Umbria
- Wedding in Italy
- Contact us
For the most part still surrounded by town walls dating back to the 16th century, the town of Città di Castello spreads out along the Tiber valley, on the spot where the Romans had founded the township of Tifernum Tiberinum.
After having been sacked and destroyed on the orders of Totila during the barbarian invasions, it was rebuilt under Bishop Florido and first took the name of Castrum Felicitatis and later, in the 10th century, that of Castrum Castelli.
It became a Comune during the late Middle Ages and was subjected to the rule of Perugia, to that of the Church and then to that of Florence; only in the 16th century, under Cesare Borgia, it definitely became dominion of the Papal State. Buildings which used to be the seat of administrative structures such as the Palace of the Podestà, with its baroque facade dating back to 1686, and the Town Hall, built in the Gothic style with an elegant portal and windows with two lights, testify to the ancient history of this Umbrian town.
Città di Castello lends his name to a great artist of the twentieth century: Alberto Burri (Città di Castello 1915 – Nice, 1995), one of the greatest exponents of informal Italian. The Fondazione Palazzo Albizzini “Burri Collection”, established in 1978 by the same Burri, owns the only existing comprehensive collection of works by the artist exhibited in Città di Castello in two museums: Palazzo Albizzini and Ex Tobacco Drying.